1. Get a spiritual director – This has been on my mind/heart for about a year now. (I’m not a fast mover, huh?) Maybe I’ll just keep going to the same one I had a few years ago; there was nothing wrong with our relationship, really, I just came across a woman who inspired me and made me think, “Oh wow, I should go to her for spiritual direction” last year, and I talked to my SD at the time and he gave it the go-ahead. I just haven’t done anything with it. This year, I will!
2. Read Church documents – I keep my nose in a book, but what about all those Church documents I keep meaning to read? Well, this is the year to get in the habit of rotating them through and reading them just as diligently as I do the books on my to-read shelf. My goal is to read at least one a month, and I’m starting already, thanks to a comment and an offer to read with me. 🙂
3. Start an exercise program of some sort – No reason other than the embarrassment at being winded just climbing my (45-degree angle) stairs or running out to my car.
4. A date with Prince Charming at least once a month – It’s not as though I consider any of these resolutions optional, but this one least of all. We have two kids now, he has a new job that demands more of his time (in part because of the commute), and I’m zipping and zapping just like I always have been…time together is at a higher premium than it ever has been. I’ve heard the advice before (and I can’t remember where), and imprinted it on my brain, that when you’re in a hurry or running late, you’re in most need of slowing down (alternatively, pray one hour every day; when you’re busy, pray two). I think there’s a corollary for marriage, and it involves spending time together. This year, I’m going to make this my special project!
5. Writing – I’ve blathered on about my aspirations before. This year, I plan to work a little harder and focus on more than just an essay a day on my blog. (But don’t go thinking this blog is going anywhere, because it’s not!) I don’t know how to quantify this, so I’m not going to try. This is in God’s hands anyway (without him, I would pretty much have kept my light under a bushel, but he gave me Prince Charming as a cheerleader (very handsome one at that!) and many other graces and opportunities). So, as with so many things in my life, I’ll let him do the driving while I do the passenger-ing. 🙂
And that’s it. Five resolutions. It makes me wince a little, but they’re each things I have told myself I would do in the last six months, but I haven’t. So here we go, making them official and letting the world see them. Here’s to 2008!