Toxic Waste Dump?
So, ye of the gardening expertise, what do you make of this monstrosity in my lovely garden? Look at it, right there at the foot of my Bleeding Heart, encroaching on my Bergamot (aka Bee Balm), out in the open taunting me (and with a weed growing out of it???). I’m afraid to touch it, because, well, it looks unfriendly. Bob’s afraid to touch it because, well, same reason. The toddler’s interested in it, of course, but so far I’ve been able to keep her away. I thought about bringing out the big gun chemicals, but…not before I posted it here, for any advice some of ye sages may have!
My friend, that is a form of mold. I get it from time to time in my garden and there is nothing you can do about it other than to pick it up (with gloved hands or a trowel) and toss it. I’d asked my FIL about it and his neighborhood got hit with it last year, too. They asked the Scotts man who treats all of the lawns in the area about it and that’s when they found out there is nothing you can do to prevent it and the only way to get rid of it is to pick it up and throw it away.
I had this last year, and I thought our neighbor’s dog was vomiting in our flowers! It is actually called dog vomit mold, and you are supposed to pick it up and throw it. It you rake it, it almost “smokes” and spreads.
I’ve had this before. I used to use Midnight Black mulch or the dark brown variety. Since I stopped using them, this goo stopped showing up.